Information for Graduating Students

 Graduation Certificates

There are two different graduation programs that lead to a graduation certificate from the Kindergarten to Grade 12 system:

  • Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma): Secondary school graduation for most students in B.C. comes after acquiring 80 credits.
  • Adult Graduation Diploma: Learners who are 18 years of age or older can combine credits earned at both secondary and post-secondary schools towards either a B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma (Adult Dogwood) or a regular B.C. Dogwood Diploma.

Alternative credential: Instead of graduation, students with special needs can complete Individual Education Plan (IEP) goals and receive the School Completion Certificate (Evergreen Certificate).

Getting Credit to Graduate

Find out about flexible learning options that can help you get credit to graduate.

Leaving High School

Help make this a smooth transition – check that you’ve got all the credits you need to graduate, get a job or start a post-secondary program.

Learning supports: Students who have special needs should meet with their school support team along with a parent or guardian to help make sure that they can successfully meet the goals of their K-12 educational program.

Living and working in the community: Work together with your school support team to also explore skill development options like apprenticeships, co-operative education and career technical centres designed to help students get the life skills they need for life and work:

Post-secondary: Universities, colleges and technical institutions also offer programs, funding and services for students who require learning supports: