There are many benefits for Students participating in a Co-operative Program. For example:
Course and Curriculum Advantages:
- one semester program;
- two work experiences within one semester which equal eight grade 12 credits;
- one or two teachers for all courses;
- all co-op students will receive teacher support to complete their Graduation Transitions, but will not receive credit/mark until grade 12;
- opportunities for field experiences that could not otherwise be included. You will not miss work in other classes and have to catch up.
Work Experience Advantages:
- an opportunity to experience a career area that interests students on a first hand basis, to build skills and knowledge, to see and to participate in specialized areas;
- students can find answers to: “Is this what I see myself doing in my future?”
- open the doors for summer and after school jobs, allowing students to network and build contacts;
- six weeks of work experience without missing instructional time;
- an opportunity to increase student confidence, self-esteem, self-reliance.
- matching of curriculum to teacher background. Each of our Co-op teachers is a specialist and is able to share his/her excitement and enthusiasm for their course content;
- one or two teachers for the semester means that it will be easier for the teacher(s) to learn the classroom expectations and marking schemes;
- Co-op teachers will be aware of student workload in all their classes for the one semester; therefore, consideration to due dates, test dates, and homework load can be more easily balanced.
Credit Related Advantages:
- students will receive more credits (possible 20 credits instead of the usual 16) than can normally be earned within a semester. In addition, some of the grade 12 graduation
- requirements can be completed within the grade 11 year;
- through completing 180 hours of work experience for 12A and 12B, students also get credit for their 30 hours of work experience needed for their Graduation Transitions;
- work experience counts toward GPA;
- helps with university/college program applications;
- work toward a Career Education/Focus Area Graduation Certificate.
Other Related Advantage(s):
- opportunities for networking, collaboration and teamwork. Peers need to be able to work together in a friendly, non-competitive way – we build a network of relationships, shared experiences and growth.